06 April, 2011

HANGING ON

April 6, 2011



Today I awoke feeling extremely tired. Am I pushing myself too much? Am I depressed? Am I getting sick? Is it just the dreary weather? Not sure. I just know that I could have slept in for several more hours, which is not like me. Even yesterday I felt so tired at times that I almost closed my eyes while in the midst of working.

But I keep going. I keep hanging on, just like the leaf that is hanging on our maple tree.

One lone leaf has been attached to the tree all winter and into spring. Through all of the cold, the snowstorms, the blustery winds, the driving rainstorms, this leaf keeps hanging on, never giving up its hold on life, such as it is. The leaf is shriveled and brown, with little life left, but as long as it remains attached to the branch there is hope.

Jesus said, "I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5, NRSV)

So I keep holding on to Jesus and to his promises. And I keep trusting that he will give me strength to make it through another day.

Give us this day our daily bread. Give me this day strength for today. Keep me holding on, Jesus, attached to your power and your love and your unending grace, for apart from you I can do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment